As a business and leadership coach I see people get more discouraged by failing at big resolutions than achieving positive growth from day to day changes.
I do believe that a new year or a birthday or a life event can be a good time to evaluate where you are as a leader, spouse, parent, business owner and person so that you can make adjustments to be a better you.
Call them goals, resolutions, objectives, habits, intentions, mission, targets or any other fancy jargon. There are times in our lives that we need to refocus and make sure we are moving in the direction that we should go. Nothing magical. Just basic reminders of things that we should do on a regular basis if not daily.
Recent studies show that 42% of Americans have not read a nonfiction book in the last year. My guess is that some people in the other 58% also fudged on their answer when they responded. Only 8% read more than 50 books per year. The benefits of reading are too numerous to list here. But imagine what your life would be like if you read one more book every month to improve your personal or business skills? Program your mind by increasing your reading habit.
Learn Something New
We have access to massive amounts of information in our society. But how often do we expand our mind by adding a new skill to our toolbox. Feed your minds hunger for growth by learning another language or how to play a musical instrument. Don’t worry if the skill is not directly related to your business or making more money. You may find that you creativity will increase and stress levels will go down when you expand your world with a new talent. You may even become the life of the party in 6 months when you show off your new juggling skills or play the harmonica.
You can tell a great deal about who you are by observing the people that you spend time around. Some people even say that you will become the people you surround yourself with. I am sure your parents told you that if you spend time with drug dealers the chances are very high that you would become a drug dealer. I also know that if you spend time with successful business owners then the chances are very high that you will grow into a successful business owner also. I heard it said years ago that you should spend time with those that celebrate you, not just tolerate you. And you should have people in your life that stretch you and make you uncomfortable. Evaluate the people that surround you and choose your associations wisely.
This is so simple and we all know that a warm smile can change not only our outlook on a situation but it can also influence those around us. Unfortunately, you still walk down the street with a scowl on your face and as you observe others it appears that everyone is having the worst day of their lives. Make a decision to smile whether it feels like the right thing to do or not. At least you will look better to those of us that you meet.
Our world is connected in so many ways such as smartphones, wearable devices, TV’s, internet, etc…And we have access to so many things that stimulate our senses and our minds. We have access to incredible amounts of information, but we seem to have a shortage of wisdom. People have information, but they do not slow down and think often enough. Unplug and sit and be quiet. Let your mind work or just rest. Some may call it meditation or prayer. I like to say we just need to rest our senses. Be still and quiet and let your mind work.
Stop beating up on yourself and judging where you are in life. Many people have challenges with success because they lack the ability to look in the mirror and see the good in themselves. Do not worry about the future and do not regret the past. You are breathing today and I am sure that you have talents and skills that you should be proud of. You are awesome and you were created to do great things. Remind yourself of that everyday. Your life, relationships, work and business will improve when you realize how great you are.
It is so easy to go through the day to day grind of life and be consumed with our personal issues. And when we only focus on ourselves and our problems, we often miss the joy of ministering to those around us. Stop thinking about your problems and find someone that needs your help. There are people in the world that are hurting that can only be touched or encouraged by you. Do not let them down. Be others focused and share some love.